NFL Jersey Fan Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFL Jersey Fan Paradise

The place for Jersey heads to share their passion for collecting.

Home pageHome page  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  How to spot a FakeHow to spot a Fake  eBay sellers listseBay sellers lists  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.

Go down 
+23
RJ3000
kthekan
tz2010
Runnings
finfan1uk
markg
MK1987
jer320
TomlinsonFan
BoysFanatic
klartlefou
Billsfan
zomgbbqwtflol
bognor_pat
patsfan
lsks87
markhr
Ravens
sportstitch
RedskinsNo.1
Mr_Raider
Falcon Phil
Csonka#1
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Billsfan
Admin
Admin
Billsfan

What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. Empty
PostSubject: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptyTue Sep 11 2007, 00:22

Unless you buy from NFLshop.com or the teams proshop, and hey everyone likes a bargain don't they?, you are going to come into contact with the bootleg jersey. Some are obvious and others are so good that even Reebok admit that they can't tell the difference. eBay is a wonderful place for a bargain and so it attracts counterfeiters.

That being said I believe that most of the UK based sellers are not sure of what they are selling. Reebok does not import the Authentic jerseys and so we don't see them in the stores and therefore have no idea what to look for and up until a few months ago I was one of those unknowing fans. In a few short months I have undergone a master-class of jersey collecting and spotting from our American cousins.

I have been caught out by people I trusted and have fake jerseys in my wardrobe which I bought as genuine, but at that ridiculously low price. I don't want to debate the rights and wrongs of counterfeiting products. We all know it's against the law.

So, firstly then.
Price
Most Authentic jerseys in retail stores cost $200 to $250 on average. That's £100 to £125 in our money. So can you sell a genuine jersey for £19.50, like some sellers on eBay. Yes if you are clinically insane or so rich that you do it for the love of the sport. The real reason..... fake jersey made somewhere in the far east and bought for £10. Remember if it looks too good then it's got to be just that.

Photo's
How many close up pictures are there in the listing. An honest seller, even if he/she is not aware that the jersey is a fake, will supply as many pictures of the jersey as the customer wants, hey they are after your money, no? Beware of sellers who only have one far away shot of the jersey and won't email you any more.

Numbers
An authentic range jersey will have one to three layers of tackle twill numbers zig zag stitched onto it. Never one layer tackle twill and then embroidered with the other colours.

What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. Th_IMG_0011

These should be almost stiff and almost cardboard like and flat. There could be some bubbling to single numbers, like the Giants or Steelers but mostly it should be flat.

Construction
A few of the worst fakes are the replica bodies with numbers sewn on, these are easy to spot as the back is longer than the front, known in the trade as the droptail. These also have dazzle material side panels
Others have inferior quality materials and stitching, which is why the seller won't send you a close up picture. Now Reebok also use factories in the far east and South America and their stitching can also leave a bit to be desired. I know for example that the Bears jerseys nearly always have the wrong font on the shoulders. That's Reebok for you.
Authentic jerseys have spandex sidepanels, just like the game jerseys made by Ripon in Berlin, USA ( the Reebok logo is stitched on afterwards on a gamer by Ripon). Fakers know this and put it in so it's only a guide.

Patches
Many fake Reebok jerseys on eBay have patches attached, etc anniversary or captains patches. These patches are not put onto genuine jerseys by Reebok. Some are available to buy on their own and added to the jersey. Mitchel and Ness jerseys do come with patches. The rule of thumb here is be very wary of patched jerseys, unless the seller is trusted or states that the patch has been added after purchase.

What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. Picture040

Country of origin, tags

Most genuine jerseys are made in El Salvador or Korea, some have been made in China also. Fakers are putting on tags with the correct country of origin so you can't rely on this.

Tag Hologram

The hologram on the tag can also give it away as a fake. There are a couple of holograms out there.
1st - the helmet hologram - helmets surrounding the NFL shield. Genuine holograms show different coloured helmets. Fake same colour.
2nd - footballs hologram - There are 2 kinds in 2006 it went to LEATHER color footballs. Then in 2007 the footballs are different colors and it has the AFC and NFC logos in the background. Some sellers like to show the hologram on the fakes. If you see one with a helmet perimeter on a 06-07 jersey...you know it's a wrong un.

What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. Th_hologram

What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. Th_holograms

Added 23/11/09. This is the current hologram.

What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. 08tagholo

Added 24/06/08 - New style tag (right) alongside a fake tag (Left)
Notice that the hologram is the 2005 style and the edges of the tag are not rounded.

What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. Hologramontag

Added 23/11/09. These are the latest swing tags, no new jerseys should have the blue rectangular tags now.

What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. 08tagbk What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. 08tag
Remember to post your eBay item number in the thread if you would like an opinion before bidding.

I hope that you find this guide useful.

Last edited by Billsfan on Mon Apr 04 2011, 16:54; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://nfljerseyfanparadise.forumotion.com
Csonka#1

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptyMon Apr 07 2008, 20:50

Photo's removed die to size restrictions - billsfan ( admin)

Real or fake?

Last edited by Billsfan on Tue May 06 2008, 09:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : size restriction on pictures)
Back to top Go down
Billsfan
Admin
Admin
Billsfan

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptyMon Apr 07 2008, 22:11

Welcome to the boards.
That's a genuine replica jersey you've got there.
This style of jersey is rarely faked due to the low profit margin on it.
Back to top Go down
Falcon Phil

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptyFri Jun 27 2008, 18:30

do you know anything about e-bay seller "winter.38". He sells jerseys from the UK and I live in the US. I am looking at an Atlanta Falcons Matt Ryan #2 - "authentic jersey" but it seems very, very cheap.

On E-Bay, its item#180257484878.

Link:
What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. Matt-Ryan-2-Atlanta-Falcons-NFL-Jersey-Red-L-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ180257484878QQihZ008QQcategoryZ21218QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

whaddya think? let me know asap - today is Friday, June 27th - thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mr_Raider
Mr_Raider

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptyFri Jun 27 2008, 20:50

Falcon Phil wrote:
do you know anything about e-bay seller "winter.38". He sells jerseys from the UK and I live in the US. I am looking at an Atlanta Falcons Matt Ryan #2 - "authentic jersey" but it seems very, very cheap.

Link:
What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. Matt-Ryan-2-Atlanta-Falcons-NFL-Jersey-Red-L-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ180257484878QQihZ008QQcategoryZ21218QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

100% fake...
Back to top Go down
RedskinsNo.1
Starter
Starter
RedskinsNo.1

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptySat Jun 28 2008, 11:24

Falcon Phil wrote:

Link:

Rookie Jerseys arent available in the Authentic range yet so its a fake
Back to top Go down
http://www.hartlepoolunited.co.uk
Billsfan
Admin
Admin
Billsfan

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptySat Jun 28 2008, 13:55

The guys are spot on Falcon. You won't be able to get a genuine Ryan jersey until the season starts or you have one customised. I love the close up of the tags with the 2005 fake hologram on a 2008 jersey.
Back to top Go down
sportstitch

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptyWed Oct 01 2008, 00:09

Excellent examples, billsfan. Thanks for the tutorial.
Back to top Go down
Ravens
Rookie
Rookie
Ravens

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptySun Jan 18 2009, 18:42

Not sure is this has already been posted but this video is useful
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sNuy7t5_Mhk
Back to top Go down
Billsfan
Admin
Admin
Billsfan

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptySun Jan 18 2009, 21:16

Ravens wrote:
Not sure is this has already been posted but this video is useful
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sNuy7t5_Mhk

It is to a point, there are some things that the guy gets wrong.
Back to top Go down
markhr

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptyTue Jan 27 2009, 15:50

The reebok sales tag on an authentic I received has neither the VISA nor NFL logos on the reverse under www.nfl.com. Should I be concerned (it may be an old stock jersey)?

details here - http://forum.nfluk.com/showpost.php?p=848288&postcount=578

edit: thanks, by the way, for both setting up and running this website.
Back to top Go down
Billsfan
Admin
Admin
Billsfan

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptyTue Jan 27 2009, 22:59

markhr wrote:
The reebok sales tag on an authentic I received has neither the VISA nor NFL logos on the reverse under www.nfl.com. Should I be concerned (it may be an old stock jersey)?

details here - http://forum.nfluk.com/showpost.php?p=848288&postcount=578

edit: thanks, by the way, for both setting up and running this website.

Welcome to the site. The tags and jocktag are real and so is the jersey. It's from 2002-04 so it is an older jersey, but genuine. I always like Eddie, nice jersey.
Back to top Go down
markhr

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptyWed Jan 28 2009, 00:56

Billsfan wrote:
Welcome to the site. The tags and jocktag are real and so is the jersey. It's from 2002-04 so it is an older jersey, but genuine. I always like Eddie, nice jersey.

Thanks - the lack of visa and nfl logos kind of threw me.
Back to top Go down
lsks87

PostSubject: Fake   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptySat Sep 12 2009, 06:37

I was wondering if you can tell if this is real or fake, im not to sure.. Its very confusing... confused
https://s991.photobucket.com/albums/af35/la_reyna87/?action=view&current=490aac6d.pbw
Back to top Go down
Billsfan
Admin
Admin
Billsfan

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptySat Sep 12 2009, 09:15

reyna09 wrote:
I was wondering if you can tell if this is real or fake, im not to sure.. Its very confusing... confused
https://s991.photobucket.com/albums/af35/la_reyna87/?action=view&current=490aac6d.pbw

Welcome to the site. I'm afraid it's a fake. The numbers are too bubbly and shiny and the hologram on the tag should be square not round. I hope you didn't pay too much for it.
Back to top Go down
patsfan

PostSubject: just wondering if this was real too...   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptySun Nov 08 2009, 00:26

i mean it seems pretty legitt to me but who knows. its got the spandex sleeves, the afc and nfc helmets on the sticker... numbered.

https://s1006.photobucket.com/albums/af183/patsfan5280/?action=view&current=IMG_0020.jpg
Back to top Go down
bognor_pat
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptySun Nov 08 2009, 09:24

Your last picture with the tag & Syeelers logo is way off compaired to my jersey! My authentic Polamalu jersey was brought from an eastbay shop in America when my mate went a few months back.

What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. Th_TPolamaluSTEELERS2

Last edited by bognor_pat on Sun Nov 08 2009, 09:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : picture seemed to large, shrinked it!)
Back to top Go down
Billsfan
Admin
Admin
Billsfan

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptySun Nov 08 2009, 10:15

It's a fake I'm afraid. The hologram on an 08-09 jersey is square and not round and has footballs on it not helmets. This is a regular mistake made by the counterfeiters. As Bognor Pat says the tag and Steelers logo is wrong too. I hope that you didn't pay too much money for it.
Back to top Go down
zomgbbqwtflol

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptyTue Nov 10 2009, 22:03

i got this brees jersey off a friend who had a "hookup"
i assumed its fake once i started checking online but just to be safe before i return it lol

What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. IMG_0017-1
What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. IMG_0021
What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. IMG_0023
What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. IMG_0022
What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. IMG_0019
What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. IMG_0018
Back to top Go down
Billsfan
Admin
Admin
Billsfan

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptyTue Nov 10 2009, 22:27

Yes it's a counterfeit. The equipment badge is poor quality, the stitching looks poor on the Reebok logo and fleur de lys and the Lousiana patch should not be on it at all. The Saints wore this patch after the Hurricane catrina disaster and are not wearing it this season.

Send it back and welcome to the site.
Back to top Go down
zomgbbqwtflol

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptyTue Nov 10 2009, 22:34

alright thanks for the clarification !

and thankyou for the welcome afro
Back to top Go down
klartlefou

PostSubject: Real or fake?   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptyWed Nov 25 2009, 18:49

Hi! Somebody is offering to sell me thier Pats jersey but I want to make sure its the real deal.. I got him to send me a few pics of his jersey and i was wondering if you could let me know if its a fake!

[pictures removed by administrator]

Thanks for your input and great forum!

Regards,

Pierre
Back to top Go down
Billsfan
Admin
Admin
Billsfan

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptyWed Nov 25 2009, 19:25

Hi Pierre and welcome.

It's fake I'm afraid. The numbers shouldn't be shiny and bubbly like that. A real jersey has flat twill numbers as they are glued together and then stitched. The fakers just stitch theirs. I'd pass on it if i were you.

Out of interest, how much were they looking for it?
Back to top Go down
klartlefou

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptyWed Nov 25 2009, 19:29

He wanted to off load it for £20.. I had my suspicions when i saw the bubbling on the numbers.. Thanks for the confirmation.. I saw another Moss jersey on ebay the other day.. I can't remember the number but when I asked the seller for a picture of the hologram he sent me a pic of the tag with the helmet hologram.. Was I right to tell him that he is trying to sell me a fake since Moss only transfered to the Pats in the 2007 draft and the hologram was from earlier?
Back to top Go down
Billsfan
Admin
Admin
Billsfan

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. EmptyWed Nov 25 2009, 19:42

klartlefou wrote:
He wanted to off load it for £20.. I had my suspicions when i saw the bubbling on the numbers.. Thanks for the confirmation.. I saw another Moss jersey on ebay the other day.. I can't remember the number but when I asked the seller for a picture of the hologram he sent me a pic of the tag with the helmet hologram.. Was I right to tell him that he is trying to sell me a fake since Moss only transfered to the Pats in the 2007 draft and the hologram was from earlier?

You were probably right, just keep in mind that Reebok always have blank jerseys hanging around and when people order customised jerseys from NFLshop and others that they sometimes use older blank jerseys. I had to take the pics out mate as they were just too big, feel free to resize them and add them back or make them clickable.

Cheers

Billsfan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.   What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey. Empty

Back to top Go down

What to look for when buying your next Authentic jersey.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next