NFL Jersey Fan Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFL Jersey Fan Paradise

The place for Jersey heads to share their passion for collecting.

Home pageHome page  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  How to spot a FakeHow to spot a Fake  eBay sellers listseBay sellers lists  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Steve McNair retires after 13 seasons

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Billsfan
Admin
Admin
Billsfan

Steve McNair retires after 13 seasons Empty
PostSubject: Steve McNair retires after 13 seasons   Steve McNair retires after 13 seasons EmptySat Apr 19 2008, 11:57

McNair announced his retirement Thursday, ending a 13-year career in which he was selected co-MVP, led the Tennessee Titans to the Super Bowl and orchestrated the most successful regular season in the Ravens history. He received a standing ovation from his team mates after revealing his decision, then contained his emotions during a hastily arranged news conference.

"Coming out and making this decision, it was hard," he said. "In your mind, you feel like you can play, that you can still compete. But when your mind and your body are not in accord, it's not going to work in the National Football League.

"My mind was there. Mentally, I could go out and play. But physically, I couldn't do it anymore. Not to the capacity that I need to help my teammates win a football game."

The 35-year-old McNair guided the Ravens to a franchise-best 13-3 record in 2006, his first season in Baltimore. But he injured his groin during the season opener last season and never regained the form that enabled him to earn a berth in four Pro Bowls.

McNair developed back and shoulder injuries and played in only six games in 2007. He threw only two touchdown passes, was intercepted four times and lost seven fumbles before being placed on injured reserve in December, ending his most frustrating season in the NFL.

He underwent surgery on his non-throwing shoulder in December and spent much of the past three months getting ready for his 14th NFL season. But McNair had an inkling that all the running and weightlifting might be for naught.

"My mind was telling me, 'Yes,' and my body was like, 'No, what are you doing?' I came up with (the idea of retiring) two or three days ago, but it's been lingering ever since December."

The news stunned his teammates, who expected McNair to return -- if only to prove last season was fluke.

"I thought I was going to get at least one more year, because I know Steve has a big chip on his shoulder," said receiver Derrick Mason, who also played with McNair on the Titans.
Back to top Go down
https://nfljerseyfanparadise.forumotion.com

Steve McNair retires after 13 seasons
Page 1 of 1